June 29, 2014

Wimbledon: Serena Williams confident of third-round victory

Williams beat Chanelle Scheepers in straght sets, 6-1, 6-1. (©GettyImages).

Serena Williams is confident of beating Alize Cornet in their third round Wimbledon clash, despite losing to the French star in their last meeting. The 2012 Wimbledon winner beat Chanelle Scheepers in straight sets to reach the third round.

Williams is confident that she can progress into the later rounds of the tournament, and also predicts the US football team will do the same, but is determined to keep her feet firmly on the ground.

The game against Cornet will prove to be a tougher test than Scheepers, but Williams will be keen to impress, after losing the last time the two met at the Dubai Championships, and has even admitted that the defeat will spur her on this time round.

Speaking at a press conference at SW19, she said: “Cornet, she does everything good. That’s why she was able to get a good win off of me. She never gives up, shes a big fighter. She gets a lot of balls back.

“But I’m ready. It’s time for me to step up my game and do what I know I can do and do what I’m best at.

“It makes me realise, okay, I have to work hard if I want to be able to get a win.”

Wimbledon run

However, the current world number one isn’t as happy with her win over Scheepers as many might think, admitting that she is a little bit happier with each win, but will feel ‘great’ if she manages to continue her Wimbledon run.

When asked how she felt about her form, she responded: “Well, I feel okay. You know, I don’t want to feel great necessarily right now because hopefully I have several more matches I can play.

“I do like to feel great in the beginning, but I think it’s also important not to peak too soon, keep working on your game, always have room for improvement.”

World Cup

However, Williams doesn’t think she is the only American athlete that will go far this summer. The tennis star has been following the World Cup passionately this summer, and tips Jurgen Klinsmann’s men to bring back the trophy.

When asked how far she thinks USA can go in the World Cup, she said: “I’m supporting the U.S. men all the way. I’m really excited.

“We can go all the way, right? We can go all the way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment