August 29, 2014

Gary Ballance Diary: Sad day for everyone at Headingley

In action for Yorkshire (©GettyImages).

I would just like to start my latest diary by offering my condolences to the family and friends of David Gronow after the Yorkshire member passed away during our quarter final yesterday.

It was a really sad day for all concerned at Headingley after one of our loyal supporters suffered a heart attack in the stands which caused the game to be postponed for around half an hour.

It was really tough for all the lads in the field and it really did put things into perspective so I would just like to reiterate my thoughts are with the relatives of David.

Unfortunately we ended up losing the match but it almost paled into insignificance.

It was very disappointing, we had a great chance of winning after we put ourselves into a great position, needing just over 100 with eight wickets left so it is hugely disappointing but fair play to Durham, they bowled really well as we lost wickets in clusters which meant we didn’t really give ourselves  a chance in the end.

It was great to be back, I love playing for Yorkshire at Headingley and we were in front of a good crowd. It was disappointing but it was great to be back with the lads and hopefully I can get in a couple of games towards the end of the season.

Those games at the end of the season could be the clubs biggest in years. The Championship could be really close and if I do get chance to play in them then hopefully I can put in some good performances in to get Yorkshire over the line to win the Championship.

It was good of the ECB to release me to play for Yorkshire but it was disappointing to miss out on the second ODI in Cardiff but that’s the way it goes when there are so many good players about. I have to keep impressing because I want to keep pushing for a place in this team.

With the likes of Ravi Bopara not in the squad you can see how tough it is to get into this side, lots of these are young players too and have done well for the Lions so hopefully if I do get a chance I can take it.

If that comes in this series I just after make sure I am ready to take it and try and get a score that gives England a great chance of winning. I do think I am hitting the ball nicely and batting well soit’s just a waiting game at the moment but I want to be in the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment