October 27, 2014

Gary Ballance Diary: Sightseeing in Vegas

WIth the lads in Vegas!.

It’s been quite a while since my last diary entry, since then Yorkshire have lifted the LV= County Championship and I’ve been enjoying a bit of time off, including a few days in Vegas…

I’ve managed to get away from cricket and tried not to think about it or watch any cricket if I’m honest. I’ve gone away on holiday and had some nice weather which has been great. To get away from it and have a good break is important.

Related Articles

- Ballance Diary: Championship in our grasp

- Ian Bell exclusive: Season to be proud of for the Bears

One thing that was disappointing was missing the trip to Buckingham Palace to collect our winner’s medals.

I was holiday when the lads went and they all said it was great to go down there, see everything and pick up their medals so I was a bit disappointed I didn’t make it but I had arranged my holiday before we knew this was happening. They said it was a great trip and I’m looking forward to getting my medal, I believe one of the coaching staff has it so can’t wait to get my hands on it and I think I’ll get it framed.

Awards

I have been pretty busy since the season ended and the awards nights are always things players remember, we had the PCA Awards which is always a great night and it was great to see the Yorkshire boys doing well. Then the very next night we had our Yorkshire dinner which was a huge night for us after winning the Championship. We had lots of people turning out to support so it was two very good nights.

Alex Lees and Adam Lyth have been outstanding haven’t they? As a pair they have been brilliant and they have put Yorkshire into winning positions plenty of times and they gave us that platform for the bowlers to take all the wickets.

Opening partners

They are a great partnership and they thoroughly deserved all the awards they received after picking up the main accolades at the Cricket Writers’ lunch as well as PCA and Yorkshire events.

It was a mad few days around that time actually, we went down to London for the PCA Awards then back up the next morning for the Yorkshire dinner in Leeds before getting the train back down to London and heading out to Vegas with a few of the lads. We did a bit of sightseeing, went to see the Grand Canyon and… No, I’m only joking!!

I went with Joe Root, Alex Hales, Ben Stokes and Jade Dernbach so it was nice to get away and see new places and it was a good holiday and nice to have a break so hopefully we’ll be able to make it back there some day.

Las Vegas

We had a few pool parties’ which was really good but the group I went with had some bad clothes. I managed to keep my shirt on all the time to stay out of trouble!

I think cricket is like any job you do, when you have a break you want to get away and switch off for a bit, I’ve had a couple of holidays and it’s been nice so with a huge year coming up this is the right time to get away. This will help me when I start training and playing again because I’ll be fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment